- This event has passed.
Waterfall Hula & Lei-making
February 20, 2020, @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm HST
One event on February 20, 2020, at 10:00 am
One event on June 11, 2020, at 10:00 am
January 13, February 20, June 11
10am – 12 pm
Minimum 5 participants
Oahu’s north-shore is rich with environmental diversity from mauka to makai (mountain to sea). Unfortunately many miss out on cultural elements that amplify the area’s beauty. Even fewer take part under the guidance of a Kumu (teacher). We begin with an orientation to the history and significance of Waimea Valley. Recognized as the Valley of the Priests, Waimea was home to generations of high priests. In light of the historical significance of the area, we will offer a traditional chant asking permission to enter. There is no better way to dance hula than deep in a valley surrounded by nature. Participants will learn the basic steps and gestures of hula, and then a choreography.
During our time in the valley, we will make two different styles of lei. The first lei will be made by stringing flowers and used during the hula lesson. The second style of lei is made by knotting the stems of leaves together. We will release this lei into the flowing waterfall at the back of the valley. All participants are welcome to swim out to the waterfall. Life vests are provided for safety.
– The activity is led by kumu hula, Mālia Helela, traditionally trained hula instructor, lomilomi practitioner and cultural advisor
– The activity is simultaneously translated to Japanese
– Discover a new perspective of the area through the eyes of a traditional healer and cultural practitioner
– Learn about aloha ‘aina, hula, lei making and Oli
– Walk approximately 2 miles with stops
What to know
– All ages are welcome, but you must be able to be on your feet for *two* hours and walk up to *two* miles in potentially inclement weather.
– If you plan on swimming, bring sunscreen and swimsuit.
– A portion of the proceeds from your ticket price is donated to travel2change and Ho Ola Na Pua.
– Must signup by clicking the calendar link on this page (no drop-ins).
Get the Still & Moving App
This post is also available in: 日本語 (Japanese)