- This event has passed.
Waikiki Walk Story & Hula with Kumu Malia Helela
June 12, 2022, @ 9:00 am - 11:00 am HST
June 12, 2022
Aug 14, 2022
@ 9:00 am – 11:00 am
$49 (under 14yrs)
Connect with the ‘āina for a walking tour along Kalia Road and Waikīkī beach. Offer ho’okupu and learn about healing practices of the area. Discover more about Waikīkī’s rich history as Mālia shares the story of Kawehewehe and the surrounding fishponds and healing springs that were filled in the 1920s. This thoughtful and insightful walk will challenge participants to seek traces of healing and recovery in the surrounding land and within each individual. An Optional Hula class is offered by Kumu Malia free of charge at the end of the walk.
This walk story begins and ends at the Waikiki Bandstand in Kapiolani Park.
- The walk is led by kumu hula, Malia Helela, traditionally trained hula instructor, lomilomi practitioner and cultural advisor
- The activity can be simultaneously translated to Japanese upon request. Additional fees apply. Please, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- Discover a new perspective of the area through the eyes of a traditional healer and cultural practitioner
- Re-imagine Waikiki it in its original natural incarnation
- Learn about aloha ‘aina, hula & oli
- Learn the basics of Hula.
- Walk approximately 2 miles with stops
What to Bring
- Suitable shoes for walking
- Water bottle
What to know
- All ages are welcome, but you must be able to be on your feet for two hours and walk up to two miles in potentially inclement weather.
- A portion of the proceeds from your ticket price is donated to travel2change and Ho Ola Na Pua.
Get the Still & Moving App
This post is also available in: English (英語)