- This event has passed.
Puana Lomilomi Cultural Immersion & Self Healing with Kumu Mālia Helelā
January 29, 2023, @ 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm HST
January 29, 2023
5:00 – 7:00 pm (HST)
Rather than an in-depth lomilomi training, this is a stand-alone event for you to enjoy on a single day.
Lomilomi, like all forms of healing, is an unfolding process of many steps. This approach to lomilomi focuses on settling the nervous system and integrating all parts of the body into one. Drawing on lessons of hula and lei making, students weave lomilomi massage techniques into a tailored treatment that addresses body, mind and spirit.
THIS ACTIVITY CAN ALSO BE LED ENTIRELY ONLINE UPON REQUEST.
Kumu Malia Helela
Kumu Mālia Ko’i’ulaokawaolehua Helelā strives to live a life of grace. Her halau (hula school), which meets at Still & Moving Center, is Na Hula Ola Aloha. Completing her uniki (graduation) under Kumu Hula Puluelo Park in 2002, she now teaches hula and oli (traditional Hawaiian chant) to a wide range of students, from infants and toddlers to kupuna. Mālia studied oli under Kumu Hula Keola Lake. She began her formal training in lomilomi massage as a teenager. She was licensed by the State of Hawaii as a massage therapist in 1998 and as an esthetician in 2002. Her hula practice and lomilomi practice, she says, are the same. She continues to look to the beauty and grace of the Hawaiian environment for grounding and inspiration. Mālia has become a respected and beloved cultural practitioner in Hawaii.
- The activity is led by kumu hula, Malia Helela, traditionally trained hula instructor, lomilomi practitioner and cultural advisor
- The activity can be offered w live simultaneous translation to Japanese. Please, contact email@example.com to request this service. Additional cost applies.
- Discover a new perspective through the eyes of a traditional healer and cultural practitioner
- Learn about the historical highlights and evolution of the Hawaiian traditional art of lomilomi
- Make connections between traditional & contemporary healing practices and their relation to overall health and well-being
- Experience a hula & self-care massage techniques
What to know
A portion of the proceeds from your ticket price is donated to travel2change and Ho Ola Na Pua.
Get the Still & Moving App
This post is also available in: English (英語)