- This event has passed.
Waikiki Walk Story with Kumu Mālia Helelā
March 24, 2023, @ 9:00 am - 11:00 am HST
Friday, Mar 24, 2023
@ 9:00 am – 11:00 am
$49 (under 14yrs)
Connect with the ‘āina for a walking tour bordering Waikīkī beach from Waikiki Walls to Kalia. Offer ho’okupu (gifts/offerings) and learn about healing practices of the area.
Discover more about Waikīkī’s rich history as Mālia shares the story of Kawehewehe and the surrounding fishponds and healing springs that were filled in the 1920s.
This walk story begins at the Gandhi statue in front of the zoo. Link on Google Maps
– The walk is led by kumu hula, Malia Helela, traditionally trained hula instructor, lomilomi practitioner and cultural advisor
– The activity can be simultaneously translated to Japanese upon request. Additional fees apply. Please, contact email@example.com for more info.
– Discover a new perspective of the area through the eyes of a traditional healer and cultural practitioner
– Re-imagine Waikiki it in its original natural incarnation
– Learn about aloha ‘aina
– Walk approximately 2 miles with stops
What to Bring
– Suitable shoes for walking
– Water bottle
What to know
– All ages are welcome, but you must be able to be on your feet for two hours and walk up to two miles in potentially inclement weather.
Get the Still & Moving App
This post is also available in: 日本語 (Japanese)